Arugula Pesto

 As spring began to arrive a couple of months ago, I was super excited about starting ALL of my veggies from seeds - I had acquired quite the set-up while I was in Vermont:  germination heating pads, multiple grow lights, lidded germination trays, etc.  However, I UNDERESTIMATED my ability to start from scratch:  nearly every seed I planted germinated - and I planted 150 seeds each of Arugula, Basil, Cilantro, Mesclun Lettuce Mix, San Marzano tomatoes, and Brandywine tomatoes!!



The first to emerge was of course the arugula (a.k.a. Rocket).  I transferred them to bigger containers several times as they grew and the weather outside was still to chilly for them.




When it finally warmed up enough, I transferred all the seedlings to various raised garden beds around my yard.  Unfortunately, the weather changed QUICKLY to a hot/dry environment, and the arugula started to bolt.  I had hoped to use it slowly over a few weeks, adding it to salads, etc - but mother nature apparently didn't want that.  So, what to do with all that arugula??






After searching the internet, we decided to try our hand at an arugula pesto - and the recipe we came up with is a keeper!

Ingredients:

2 garlic cloves, cut in half
2 heaping tablespoons shelled walnut pieces, toasted
4 ounces arugula, stems removed
1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
lemon juice, to taste
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Instructions:

Place the garlic cloves in a food processor and process until finely chopped.  Add the toasted walnuts and process until they are finely ground.  Add the arugula and salt, and process until the arugula is finely chopped.  While the processor is running, slowly pour in the olive oil and process until mixture is smooth.  Taste the mixture and adjust the salt as desired.  If the pesto is too bitter for your tastes, add a splash of lemon juice and process to combine.  Taste again, and add more lemon juice if necessary.  Remove from food processor and place in small bowl.  Add parmesan cheese, and stir to combine.  

Store the pesto in the refrigerator until ready to use.  Perfect on chicken or pork.









Comments